scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Monday, March 3, 2014

Scrub a Dub Dub-Give That Dry Skin Some Love...

Ingredients for Oatmeal Brown Sugar Scrub w/Cinnamon.
Hello, Happy Monday and Welcome to the Farm!  The snowy, white, cold, farm. Just over this weekend we've had 9 inches dumped on us and it's still going. Brrrr.  In spite of that, hubby and I FINALLY purchased a new bed (THAT was a long time coming!), a new dishwasher (love those store credits and rebates!) so this one will stop growling at me and attended a birthday party for our favorite (now) five-year old twin boys!  Whew!  Yes, it was a busy weekend.  Cold and busy.  Needless to say, I didn't get around to really preparing any projects (kind of like the last few weeks) to show so today I'm here with my little gifts to my lovely mother-in-law.

Just mix it together!
A couple of months ago, she had mentioned that her hands and skin were so dry and itchy that she couldn't keep any moisture in them.  I definitely know how that feels, although I think hers is even worse.  While I'm inside working all day, she is out in the weather doing her thing.  Taking care of the pigs, making sure they're warm, checking the pump house, picking up around her yard, you name it - that woman does it. She definitely runs circles around me - embarrassingly so - and deserves to be pampered now and then. More now than then.  :)  When she mentioned to me all the things that she had tried to get some moistness and softness back into her skin, I was amazed.  Lotions, oils, they just weren't working for her.  Not knowing much about scrubs, I told her I'd make one up for her to try.  I figured that if it didn't really moisten, then at least it would exfoliate some of that dry skin right off so that she wouldn't be itching and miserable all the time.  

So...I made her up a scrub.  She tried it and it works wonders for her!  Not only has it gotten some of those dry dead skin cells off, but her hands and arms are as soft as can be.  I'm shocked!  Not being one for stuff like that, I actually wondered if it really worked.  Turns out it does!  Well, Mom loves it!  A couple of weeks ago she told me she was running low and asked if I would make her some more.  She was going to buy whatever ingredients I needed.  Uh...no.  No way am I going to make her buy ingredients for a scrub I'll make for her when she does everything else under the moon for us!  And EVERYTHING needed for it is right in my pantry.  Going to buy ingredients is crazy.  This is the woman who brings me chicken soup every time I'm sick and I actually eat it.  Interesting, because I despise chicken soup.  Hate it, hate it, hate it!  But for some reason I can tolerate, even like hers.  Is it because it's made with love?  I'm not sure.  

Ingredients for the Cinnamon Coffee Sugar Scrub.
And every time we go to town to go shopping or whatever, we get into some kind of mischief.  Last time I lost my keys in a grocery bag and we had to unload the entire car and look through every single bag. Geez!  All the while we were cracking up like two little kids.  And we ALWAYS have to stop for our frosty.  Oh yeah, the frosty stop - there's nothing better!  So really, how could I even think about having her purchase ingredients?  I just want her to like the scrub and use it.  It's more fun to do something for someone you love when you do it for just that reason.  I'm not sure who enjoys it more, her or me.    I think she enjoys it ALMOST as much as when I make her a chai tea.  :)  I call that our "bonding" drink.  LOL!  She'd never had it until I introduced it to her and it seems that whenever we have it together we can talk the entire day away.  Amazing!  Those moments are so special to me.

This mixture is a little dryer.
It's all a matter of your personal preference!
Anyhoo, I digress.  Here it is, a couple of weeks later and I still haven't gotten around to making her a new scrub.  I'm a horrible person, I know.  I am admittedly very guilty. BUT...today...I made her not only another scrub - I made her THREE!  It's snowing still and there is no way in heck I'm going outside again so I figured this would be the perfect day to do her up a new batch.  It only takes a minute.  And then I decided that maybe just one wasn't enough.  Maybe she'd want to try other kinds.  Or have a little tiny variety to choose from.  We all know that smells can really affect how you feel and with three differently "flavored" scrubs, she could have a ball deciding which one she "NEEDED."

Now, if you're thinking, like I was, that scrubs are complicated, think again.  They're really not!  And they are really up to your personal preference as to whether or not you like them thicker or thinner, more or less scented, etc.  There is no doing it wrong!  I promise!  The scrub that I made the first time was absolutely amazing - an Oatmeal Brown Sugar scrub.  I found the recipe at Best Bib and Tucker and it is a perfect one to start with.  Seriously simple and not a lot of ingredients...And WHAT could be better than Oatmeal Brown Sugar?  Oh my gosh, it smelled divine, like oatmeal cookie dough!  With the healing powers of oatmeal, as well as the olive oil, this will always be my go-to recipe for scrubs.  No matter what kinds of smells you like, this one will please just about anyone! This time around I used the same recipe but added one teaspoon of cinnamon because I love me some cinnamon.  I'm pretty sure I can't live without it.  

Lemon, Cinnamon Coffee and
 Oatmeal Brown Sugar w/Cinnamon Sugar Scrubs

After I whipped up the Oatmeal Brown Sugar scrub, I wondered if I could use some coffee to make one.  I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't have any coffee grounds, but I thought instant coffee, which I do have on hand to use in recipes, might just work too.  Who doesn't love the smell of coffee, even if they don't drink it? Mmmmmmmmm.  So I grabbed it out of the pantry and proceeded to try a little experiment.  This is what I came up with:

Cinnamon Coffee Sugar Scrub

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons instant coffee

Mix all ingredients together and place in jar (or other container of your choice)

I've gotta say, it smells really good!  And it's nice and dark, which makes you really think of coffee.  Just don't drink it!  

After sniffing all the smell out of the coffee sugar scrub, I wondered what else I could come up with.  Chocolate came to mind, but there's just no way the chocolate would EVER make it to the scrub before making it to my tummy so that was out. Banana crossed my mind but I have absolutely no idea how I'd want to experiment with that one.  And would it even be appealing?  Pass on that one too.  As I opened the fridge to grab a Pepsi (the absolute best thing ever invented next to chocolate) I saw a container of lemon juice.  Hmmmm.  Now, I happen to know that Mom loves lemon as much as I do so this got me to thinking.  But how to do that one?  Well, you know me, I'll just figure it out.  And this is what I came up with for the lemon:

Yummy Lemon Sugar Scrub

1/2 cup olive oil
1 - 1/4 cups (a tiny bit less) granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together and place in jar (or other container of your choice)

I'll be the first one to admit that I wish I had actual lemons to use for this because the smell would have been absolutely heavenly, but I don't.  I do feel that it could have been stronger smelling, but I'll take what I can get at this point.  Maybe it will be perfect the way it is.  I'll ask Mom because I know she'll tell me how it could be improved.

Well, that's how I chose to spend part of my day after coming home from the chiropractor and icing up. And doing laundry.  And dishes.  And vacuuming.  And...and...and...

My hope is that when Mom's in need of some tender loving skin care, she'll just get one of these out and scrub a dub dub her way to softness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment