scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Veni Vidi Vignette...

Some of my lovelies.  :)
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I trust everyone is enjoying this weekend!  I was going to say "this lovely weekend," but the lightning storms from the last two nights didn't exactly meet the qualifications of that description.  Suffice it to say that it's a weekend. LOL!  Actually, the days have been wonderfully warm to make up for the storms, but I prefer no storms.  Even though I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks, I am not ashamed to admit that I am scared sh**less of lightning. Yes, there's a story there, and lightning and I are not friends.  Although it keeps trying to intrude into my personal bubble, it just ain't gonna happen.  Nosireebob.

A close up of the cloches.
And the little tin cup.
During times of stormy weather, what's a girl to do?  Painting outside is pretty much out of the question.  As is just about everything else.  Oh sure, I COULD sew or something like that, but HAVE YOU SEEN MY CRAFT AND SEWING ROOMS LATELY?  Yeah, that aint' gonna happen either. They're pretty bad right now.  Ever since December (I know, sad, sad, sad...) when I went to my daughter's with just about every single item in my craft room packed in my car, my craft room has looked like the wreck of the Hesperus.  Not pretty at all.  Why?  Because I haven't actually put anything away.  It's all on the floor.  Oh wait...there IS a pile on the dresser that's just about to fall over.  In my defense, I did start reorganizing, which is why nothing was getting put back, but I kind of gave up.  Call it the "sick of looking at this room" disease.  Which, apparently, is long lasting and quite possibly terminal. And my sewing room?  Right now it's being held hostage as a storage for all kinds of junk.  No way could I get in there and actually sew without getting hurt. In case I haven't ever mentioned it, I like doctors from a distance, but I really don't need to get up close and friendly if I don't have to.  Know what I mean?

Aren't these the cutest?
And, since hubby and I were watching two special little dudes we know this weekend (4-year old twins), there was no way anything would get done anyway.  Little minds and little hands like to help a little too much and I like their visits to be enjoyable for them (and us).  :D  They are awfully cute, though, and they got to do lots of other stuff that was, in their words, "WOW, AUNT EWWEN, THAT'S FUN!" Hahahahaha!  Love those little guys - they totally make us laugh each and every time we have them here.  So, between running in and out, playing with the trucks outside, riding in the tractor, seeing the baby piggies, playing with the trucks inside and watching Ice Age, there wasn't much time to get a lot done.  (We WILL NOT talk about the floor that has not been mopped.)   But wait...I forgot to mention the Monster's University gummies and the Capri Sun Roaring Waters that they consumed like nothing else existed.  Those were probably the most important things.  They NEEDED those.

Love these antique tea bag holders. 
Yesterday, as Mr. Scrappin was giving the little dudes a tractor ride down to see the little piggies, I decided to clean up the kitchen (blech). You may have seen this post, which shows how much room there is behind the sink in that corner (the last picture shows it best). Don't let the picture fool you; that is one HUGE space that is good for nothing.  Neither hubby or I can reach back there so it is basically useless for any kind of kitchen goings-on.  I literally have to climb on a ladder just to wash the counter behind the sink and hubby is the same.  It's ridiculous.  Neither of us have been able to figure out just why it was designed that way, but it is.  And it's crazy. That's why it's a usually empty space that I used to just set the dish drainer on and then s-t-r-e-t-c-h to reach to actually put the dishes in.  Frustrating and mind boggling to say the least.  And then...I HAD AN IDEA!  

The other two.  They make me smile.
Before Christmas, I had purchased a corner shelf to sit the dvd player and antenna box thingy (that's a technical term, copyrighted of course) on so that we could get them up off of the little desk the tv was sitting on. The tv was a new one that I got hubby for Christmas and our friend was going to come in and attach it to the corner wall for me for part of hubby's gift. Well, the shelf didn't fit right because, yep, you guessed it, the wall wasn't exactly square. So I was left with this HEAVY corner shelf that I couldn't put anywhere else. Pooh. It went back into its box into the sewing (aka storage, for the time being) room and just sat there. Until yesterday. Woot! I can use it!!! Out it came and made its way into the kitchen. Where I struggled to put it because that sucker really IS super heavy.

A good close up of the chalkboard from Coffee Perk.
 Made from particleboard and that's my
friend's handwriting.
Mr. Scrappin was going to make me a base to put it on, rather than attaching it to the wall, because it's such a hard to reach area that it wouldn't have been feasible to try to reach under it to clean.  Never would I have been able to reach back to the corner. Until I get the base, I have it sitting on what I think are bed risers.  I'm not really sure.  They were a Goodwill find - a set of four for five dollars.  At first I thought they were some kind of planter, but there are no drainage holes.  I couldn't figure it out for a while, but it finally occurred to me that they must be bed risers.  And if they're not, too bad.  Whatever they are, they work perfectly!  Sturdy as heck and big enough to hold the strength of the shelf, they went on the counter. Yes, I did have to use the ladder.  Stop laughing.  I looked so ridiculous.  But I can now remove the shelf to clean and put it back.  Yay!

One of the canisters from the fun set of
three that my brother-in-law gave me.
So what's included in this kitchen shelf vignette, you ask?  Oh, I'm ever so glad you did!  Well, there's an old chalkboard made out of particle board from the basement of my friend's coffee shop in Southeastern Washington.  My daughter's boyfriend kiped it for me. Hee hee hee  I know the word "pastries" is spelled wrong, but it's my friend's handwriting and I don't want to erase it.  :)  It reminds me of when I went in there all the time before I moved.  And two cloches like the ones I featured here. Then there are the stacking cups I received from my Bunco secret sister one year - they match the colors of my dishes and I just love them!  A canister that my brother-in-law gave me when he found a set in the downstairs bar of the house next door to he and my sister-in-law (they bought it to rent out and were cleaning it up).  There are actually three different canisters but I couldn't decide which one to put in the vignette so I closed my eyes and did a random pick. LOL! Hey, who says EVERYTHING has to be planned?  You can also see in the back there is a little tin cup thing.  I'm not really sure what that was used for.  Doesn't matter because I think it's really cool.

The cutest little teapot ever.
And my favorites, the antique tea bag holders that my foster mother gave to me several years ago. They were her grandmother's.  I cherish these very much. Not only because she gave them to me, but because I knew they meant something to her and she gave them to me trusting that I would take care of them.  I have a teapot collection and she wanted them to have a home with relatives.  LOL!  I truly love them and I have to have them out all the time. They were sitting in the window sill, but I want them out of the way of potential breakage. They're perfect on this shelf.  In the middle of those is a small teapot. No special meaning because I bought it myself; it's just one of my favorites.

Another pic just because I think it's so fun!
Now that I have this little vignette going on, the corner looks so much better.  Not so barren and ugly.  And now I won't look at that corner every time and think that it's a waste of space.  After all, I've got some pretty special things sitting in my kitchen shelf vignette. 

Veni Vidi Vignette!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment