scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sinking In...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  It's been a while since I've been here and I do apologize! Never let it be said that life does not get in the way sometimes.  Whew, now that most of that is over...let's carry on, shall we?  

A look at the culprit (the sink, not the brother)
Previous posts have alluded to the fact that we are in the process of making some changes to the kitchen and that a reveal was on its way.  Wellllll, what with that life getting in the way thing going on, we haven't been able to accomplish much in the way of progress. Never fear, though, because we are back in business baby!  Oh yeah! While a couple of things have been done along the way, the biggest and bestest (and yes, that IS a word [in my opinion]) happened just today.  I cannot even BEGIN to tell you how EXCITED, ECSTATIC, OVERJOYED, JUBILANT, HAPPY, THRILLED (you get the picture, right?) I am about this one! 

How icky is this?
See that thing in the left side?
 That's actually the top of
the faucet that kept coming off.
It all started almost six years ago (sad, but true) when I moved up here and in with Mr. Scrappin.  He owned this farm and home, so it was a bit before I could actually begin to even think about making any changes (except color; color HAD to come quickly) of my own.  You know how you need to be somewhere a while to get a feel for what you'd like to see, right? From the beginning, Mr. Scrappin told me I could change whatever I wanted, but I just didn't feel comfortable.  After all, he'd lived here, like, F.O.R.E.V.E.R.  Yep, a long time. And he was a guy.  Mhm...we all know how that is. Really, there wasn't a lot that needed real changing (again, with the exception of color somewhere, anywhere, right that minute), but of course we all like to see our own personalities emerge in our homes.  After all, it's where we spend part of our time, right? Unless you're like me and work for a living and then you might sometimes see it in the morning when you get up and right before bed.  LOL!  

Anyhoooooo, it all started out like this, in November 2007:

Me:  The sink is leaking.
Him:  Yeah, I know.
Me:  Are you going to fix it?
Him:  It's been like that for a while now.
Me:  I see.  Uh, you ARE going to fix that, right?
Him:  Mhm.

From November 2007 until last weekend, over a bazillion (and I really do mean a bazillion, although possibly more than that) conversations, some of them not quite so nice on my part:

Me:  The sink is getting worse.
Him:  Yeah, I know.
Me:  Are you going to fix it:
Him.  Yeah.
Me:  During my lifetime?  (Admittedly, some parts of this conversation are absolutely unprintable)
Him:  Sure.
Me:  The cabinet underneath is getting ruined.
Him:  Ok.
Me:  @#$%^&*()_{+}!!!

Last weekend, July 2013:

Him:  Do you want to go into town with me?!  (He stopped me at the end of the couch and I thought he was dying)
Me:  For what?
Him:  We need to look at a new sink and faucet.
Me:  S.P.E.E.C.H.L.E.S.S. (which wasn't good since I hadn't spoken in two weeks)
Him:  Let's go into town.
Me:  Huh?  

Checking out the depth, which I am uber
excited over!  Of course, Baxter has to
supervise in case the guys don't
do it right.  Good dog, Baxter!
So, we ended up going into town.  Which we live about a jillion miles from.  Mhm. On a Sunday afternoon, late, thank you very much. Seriously?  What the blank just happened here?  Well, if you really must know, I was mad at Mr. Scrappin and he was trying to either A) stay out of my way; B) kiss up by doing some of the house work I had not even touched in two weeks and, by doing so, realized how bad it really was; or C) the aliens had finally landed.  Or a combination of all three, but I'm secretly voting for C.  Really, I am.  And I don't mind admitting one little bit that I am afraid...very afraid.  After all, this totally goes against everything that I've been b****ing about for the last HOW MANY YEARS?  Yeah, you all see my point. 

Hubby ruined Dwayne's hole saw on
this sink.  It's pretty stinkin' hard.
Here, they were punching out the holes
for the faucet and spigot.
As it so happens, I had in mind just exactly what I wanted in a sink (even though I had not had much time to ponder this very thing (BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - ok, a little sarcasm here) so I was secretly excited about this.  Even if it was Sunday, late, and I was tired, cranky and not looking forward to spending money.  Although I really like to make improvements, I hate to spend money. I am cheap.  Inexplicable for a woman, I know, but true.  It annoys me, unless it's something I really want, like a milkshake.  Or chocolate. Yeah, chocolate.  Or a hot dog.  Oh, but I digress.  SOOO, we went to one store and...nope...they did not have my sink.  Really.  On a Sunday, late, they did not have my sink.  Figures.  Off we went to another store and YAYYYYYY!  There it was, all on display like it was the star of the show; the  belle of the ball; the jelly of the pbj sandwich!  Excitement galore!

Making sure things fit where they're
 supposed to in case the holes need
to be enlarged.  That little blue sticker says
this sink was sanitized and is more
than clean.  LOL!
As soon as we started talking about it, the salesman that had been standing right there, yes RIGHT THERE, asked if he could help us.  Mr. Scrappin advised him we were looking at a sink and of course the dude says ok.  And walks away.  Well, alrighty then.  That was pretty dang helpful.  Yep.  Helpful.  More like hellful. Seriously, who does that?  Good thing hubby and I both know how to read and know our numbers so we could search through the countless boxes of sinks and get out the one we wanted. Thanks, Mr. Salesman.  We salute you, and I am not talking about a nice wave here.  Ok, on to the faucets.  Which we had briefly looked at when we actually thought Mr. Salesman Dude was coming back (naive, I know).  Ah, the choices.  So many pretty, gleaming and shiny things.  Oooohhhhhhhhh.  We found one we truly loved and that was it. We were going to get it and be on out of there.  Until I held it up next to the display sink and went...ICK, THAT SO DOES NOT EVEN GO.  Back to the drawing board, or faucet isle as it were.

Sink in...check
Faucet in...check
FINALLY, we found one we liked well enough to actually pay for, although my brain was having a mini buying and spending money stroke of it's very own.  And I do believe I was actually having a conversation with myself wherein I was answering and talking back.  I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.  At least that's what they told me in therapy.  Guess I should have listened.  Anyhoo, sink in basket and faucet on top, we headed to the checkstand.  Where I had to restrain myself from falling on the floor crying and screaming, "Please take my firstborn and not all this money...please, I'm begging you!"  I think the cashier could read my mind because he had that "lady, I'm calling security" look that I've seen countless times before.  Wait, should I really have just admitted that?

A close up view of how deep this sink is.
Oh yeah, life was good today!
Flash forward to today - I'm finishing up painting of some of the kitchen cabinet doors and here comes Dwayne, Mr. Scrappin's bro, who was going to help with the sink.  I *heart* him so much.  I'm pretty sure he hates us after today, but I still *heart* him as much as ever.  He's such a gem.  What would we do without him? Although, he did promise not to swear so that pretty much put my day's entertainment at about zero. Hmmmph.  And I did remind him that when I had asked him if he would help hubby with the sink, he warned me that the last time he had done a sink there was something about an entire new kitchen.  Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!  Unfortunately, he declined to actually carry through on that promise (threat?) and I still have the old kitchen.  But with a pretty new sink and faucet.  That doesn't leak.

After six years of conversations like the ones above, it's going to take a while for that to sink in.



Composite granite sink (Franke); Faucet (Delta).
Awesome work done by Dwayne (bro) and Marty (Mr. Scrappin)  :)

11 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous!! I had to laugh out loud as I read your blog!! I hope you love using it :)

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susie! I am in HEAVEN here!!! Every time someone goes near it I start yelling at them to leave it alone. LOL! Thanks so much for stopping by...I hope you come again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You humored me girl! Well worth the wait. Looks FAB-U-LOUS!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried to follow, but it says webpage can't be found. This is the 2nd time that has happened to me tonite.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jann! I'm loving it!
    Not sure why you can't follow, but hopefully it's only a temporary thing. Sometimes I get that message too. :( Please come back and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to laugh! Glad it all turned out ok but you know that genetically men have a procrastinating gene? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I DO know that they are born that way; don't know what I was thinking! Perhaps that he was that ONE that was different...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this sink for at least 3 years (I've lost count) and I love it!!! We did the same thing with the position of the faucet, handle, and soap dispenser. I also got the Delta Pilar Touch2O faucet and it has been amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I'm sorry I just noticed this! I can tell you I am IN MEGA LOVE with this sink! I can't figure out how I did without it all this time! So glad to hear from someone who has it and still loves it. :)

    Thank you so much for stopping in and I hope you come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL loved reading this cute post! It will always a delicate game over here - getting hubby to think a home improvement project is HIS idea - then he's all in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand! Boy, the sneakiness we must come up with to help them along. LOL!

    ReplyDelete