scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's a Cover Up...

Boring!
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm! Another interesting (and very tiring) week behind me and now we're on to the next. This last week was very busy, leaving little time to spare for much of anything, so I decided to embark on a super simple project, albeit one I've been wanting to do for some time now but just haven't gotten to.

Clean and ready to go.
So we've (and by we, I mean Mr. Scrappin) painted the kitchen walls and I love, love, love them, but now our light cover switches just exude boring. I mean, really, they were boring to begin with, but once those walls went from years of dingy, grayish, ugly white to an actual living, breathing color, they REALLY became boring. Almost made me cry kind of boring. But I lived with it because I was too busy (aka lazy) for a while to do anything about it. It was always in the back of my mind but, you know me, there was always something more important or fun to do. Yesterday though, with nothing to do and being dog tired, I figured I could whip this one out and still feel like I'd done something. 

I just *heart* this paper!
After my regular morning routine, which consists of an hour's worth of exercise and a very healthy breakfast...HOLD THE PHONE HERE; AN IMPOSTOR HAS ENTERED THE BLOG...Ok, ok, after my regular morning routine, which consisted of spending about two hours on the computer just dinking around, I proceeded to get right on my kindle and start another new book while, at the same time eating my leftover lunch from Ciao Mambo (a totally awesomely rockin' Italian restaurant).  So, after reading about five chapters of said new book (which, by the way, I finished yesterday afternoon) I finally got around to  deciding to find the screwdriver.  Once I located the screwdriver, which is almost always in an undisclosed and somewhat anonymous location, I took off those ugly covers.  And let me tell you, it took FOREVER, as in at least five minutes.

All covered up and drying.
Covers off, I sponged the little guys to make sure they were free of any grunge (this is the kitchen, after all) and laid them on a towel to dry.  While they were drying, I got out my Mod Podge and the scrapbook paper I had wanted to use (which some of you may recognize from this post); eyeballed the size of the covers and cut the paper.  Then, on with the show!

Ready to be put back up!
I Mod Podged the paper and adhered the covers, adding extra to the sides because they didn't want to stay adhered since they dried out so fast. Pressing down to make sure everything would stay in place, I went through all nine covers and left them to dry. Believe it or not, this was NOT as easy as one would think. The paper is a heavier paper and it was a real pain trying to get it to round and bend in the places I wanted it to. And yes, I did grumble, thank you so much for asking. After about 30 minutes (it was quite warm here, yay!) I grabbed a rasp and started filing the paper out of the openings so that the edges would be smooth. Then on to the edges themselves.  Ooh, purty!

Crooked picture, but you get the jist.
Once they were all smoothed out, I sealed the covers with another coat of Mod Podge, and then one more coat about another 30 minutes later. After that, I just left them to dry while I went back to my all-important book. Hey, it was interesting! After a couple of hours of good, thorough drying, I attached those covers right back to their allotted spots on the wall. The walls did thank me for it, just so you know. I heard it, clear as day. They were glad to have a little extra oomph added to their awesome color. 

I love these covers!
While this obviously isn't the end-all, be-all of giving the kitchen more personality and charm, it really did make enough of a difference that it was noticed by my friend that popped in later. I was a little surprised, but pleased, that she noticed. Made me feel like it wasn't for nothing. At some point in time, when I finally think it's important enough to do, these covers will actually be replaced with ones that I really, really want, which are iron (and expensive, which is why it's not time yet).

When all else fails and you want a little something different on a limited budget, just cover it up for a while.

Double-sided cardstock (So Delish~Spice Rack and So Delish~Everything But The Kitchen Sink) by TPC Studio; Mod Podge Matte-Mat from Plaid Enterprises

13 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely. I'm thinking I could modge podge some fabric covered ones! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so cool! I thought about that, but only after I was finished. LOL! This paper matches the mirror I refurbished into a pantry door chalkboard though, so it's perfect for me. Let me know if you do the fabric ones; I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When all else fails and you want a little something different on a limited budget, just cover it up for a while"

    I love that! Because really who wants to spend A LOT of money?

    I want to cover our units up but I'm horrible at deciding what to put on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! I do not want to spend a ton of money unless I'm ready to live with it forever. I'll bet you could use anything from paper like I did to fabric to paint! So many options! Speay paint is also one of my closest friends! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable and so fun! Mod Podge often comes to the rescue. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'm pretty sure I couldn't live without Mod Podge. Lol! Thank you so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun idea...I've always wanted to do something cute with my light covers. One more thing on "the list" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of fun! My walls aren't quite as boring now. :)

      Delete
  8. Great idea! I just love scrapbook paper! Back in the "old days" you just couldn't get cute paper to use for projects like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! You can get so many cute designs now, whereas back in the day it was like, ewwwww. LOL!

      Delete
  9. These look great! I never would have thought to use scrapbook paper, what a great idea! Gotta love Mod Podge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I love scrapbook paper for a lot of things; it's so changeable!

      Delete