scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cloche Enough for Government Work...

Oh goodness, is this dirty or WHAT?
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope this post finds you all well and having a wonderful weekend.  This last week seemed to be a very loooong week, but Friday ended it well because it was my fifth wedding anniversary to Mr. Scrappin. Amazing, I know, that he was able to put up with me this long. Although I did find it a little strange that he kept scratching his head as if to say, "you mean it's ONLY been five years?"  Poor man; you really do have to feel for him.  

A sand etched rock.
Why, you ask?  Because that poor man has to deal with every one of my weird ideas and sometimes brain-defying thoughts.  Truly a miracle that he has lived through some of it.  He deserves kudos, you know what I mean?  Not EVERY hubby can answer the same question over and over while trying to come up with a different answer. 

Rubber Duckies, you're so fun!
Example:
Me:  Honey, I have an idea.
Him:  NOOOOOOOO!
Me:  But it's cool and you won't have to do anything.
Him:  That's what you always say.
Me:  Honey...
Him:  Can't you just shoot me right now?
Me:  Honey...
Him:  (Ignoring me while whistling and looking in the air for something to rescue him)
Me:  Honey...
Him:  I don't want to and you can't make me.
Me:  Honey...
Him:  What's for dinner?

What?  Not everyone has
 sprinkler faucets?
See what I mean?  A different answer to the same question.  EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  It's amazing and almost mind boggling, I tell you.  I don't know any woman in the world who has a smarter hubby than I do, what with all that thinking he has to do to come up with an answer.  Admittedly, I'm still waiting for the RIGHT answer, which I suspect will be forthcoming in about another five years (I should have him worn down  by then.).  

A cute fake plant cuz I kill
the real thing. Notice the cute
 plate underneath?
Anyhoo, in honor of Mr. Scrappin's fine vocabularical (love that word - I just made it up!) skills, I have decided not to even ask him if anything is a good idea today (call it part of his anniversary gift) and just move on to trying my hand at this cloche thing. Like a lot of you, I love cloches. They're cool.  They're in.  And they're seriously fun because you can do anything if you have one or two.  I, however, have ZERO.  NIL.  NADA.   ZIPPPPO.  So what am I supposed to do?  Well, brilliant me, as I was looking around the room last night and trying to figure out something for my blog today, landed my sights (what there is left of it) on the sconces that I found at Michael's about six years ago.  And which I promptly put up, but did nothing with, except put candles in them.  Said candles  (still in the cellophane I bought them in) sat there for just as long until hubby took them out and burned them because I didn't have any coolish smelling ones left.  Then we were left with empty sconces, which stayed empty until this morning.  Wow, were those suckers dirty when I took them down!  hee hee hee  I guess someone should have cleaned them more often or something.

Cookie cutter cuteness.
As usual, your lovely hostess digresses. I do that a lot.  It makes me feel like I'm smart because I can come up with lots of stuff that doesn't make any sense, but I can still come up with it.  See?  I'm just as smart as Mr. Scrappin, if I do say so myself.  So...I took those grimy suckers right out of the holders and stuck them in the dishwasher.  Once they came out, they were so much nicer!  You could actually see through them.  Whoa, now THERE is an awesome concept!  Well...they're out of the dishwasher, so now what?  Heck if I know; I am NO cloche expert, that is for sure.  They were in need of something, but I was at a loss as to what.  I mean, I wanted them to be cute, but if I put too much of something on them, you wouldn't be able to see what actually lives in the cloche.  Is that a proper term for cloche things?  Living in them?  I'm extremely cloche inept so I really need some guidance here as to the terminology.  Anyway, I found some leftover gold raffia that I had little by little whittled away at until there were only wimpy little strands left.  Perfect!  A little somethin' somethin' but nothing gauche.  I just wrapped it around the bottom where the sconces flare out and called it good. Attempted a little tiny bow instead of gluing so I could take them off.  In case I needed a change, you know?  For the record, I SEE YOU SNICKERING AT MY BOW.  It's ok, though, I can take a little criticism.

The ring my hubby gave me on
my birthday before we were
 married (he made it).
My can't live without item!
Then, as I was putting dishes away (cuz I can do two things at once sometimes) I ran across these little candle plates that I had tucked away in the cupboard. Hey! Cloche bottoms!  You know, like pajama bottoms, only glass? And cute? Hooray for me!  They're cute too.  Of course I had to put the sconces on to see if they look ok.  They do, although if you look closely, you will see that the sconces are a wee bit too large around to sit nicely on the inside of the plates. The good thing about this is that you don't always have to have a bottom to a cloche.  Unless you do, in which case I'm doing this all wrong.  Well, shoot. I'm sticking by that statement and saying I don't have to.  So there.  It's my blog and I can do what I want to, do what I want to, do what I want to...

Wine corks from Addie.  :)
What I needed after trying to figure
out what to put in these things!
And then came the REAL problem. What, exactly, does one put in a cloche?  I have absolutely no idea. At all.  And not much to work with because these are little cloches, minis if you will.  Fakes of the big ones.  Masters at being impostors.  So I looked around a lot...a lot...and these are what I came up with. 

Interesting, for sure, although I'm not quite sure they are politically clochely correct.  For my first attempt, I think it's cloche enough for government work.  And, since it's Sunday, I'm not getting paid anyway so there ya go.

6 comments:

  1. Cute post! Cloches are a great way to highlight those special items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was fun doing it! Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Toodie! You have me giggling like crazy here at work! I love each of your crazy creative cloche's and, your delightful conversations with the hubs ring true at our house too! Thank you so much for sharing this at the party this week. I am featuring it on my Facebook page this afternoon and have pinned it to the You're Gonna Love It Tuesday board on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! Those hubs conversations ARE something else, aren't they? LOL!

    I'm so excited you're sharing it on your Facebook page; that makes me feel so good! I'm so glad you stopped by and totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you put in a cloche? Anything that will fit. Thanks for sharing all your fun ideas. My favorite is the one with the faucet handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, I tried putting a ton of different things in them, but not a lot would fit. I really wanted to put my old tea bag holders, but the spouts wouldn't let me. LOL! I love the faucet handles too. :)

    ReplyDelete