scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Say Cheese(cake)...

Mix your crust ingredients
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  Here it is already, the beginning of July!  Really?  Where did the time go?  I swear it was just the middle of winter and snowing! Of course, it hasn't really warmed up a lot here as far as summer weather, but I keep hoping it will come.  It has to, right?  Isn't that the law of weather?  At some point - IT. HAS. TO. WARM. UP.  Today is cloudy and chilly, but not cold.  It is, however, just chilly enough for me to want to bake something.  Good thing I have a couple of recipes.  BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA  I said "a couple" of recipes.  Shoot, I probably have more recipes than my granny has mothballs in the closet!

Mix your filling ingredients
I thought about chocolate chip cookies, but they just didn't really appeal to my senses today.  Which obviously means I have no sense; I mean, seriously, who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies?  Maybe a cake?  Nah, just made one the other day for my bestie's birthday (and I will admit that it was out of this world good and so moist!) so I'm not into making another one so soon.  Well, guess I'd better get to looking through the recipes so I can finish before midnight Tuesday.  LOL  That's about how many recipes I have.

Pour crust ingredients into baking dish
Ooh, a recipe for Triple Chocolate Crockpot Mess...yummy sounding! Except...I'm already using the crockpot and it has tonight's dinner in it.  Chicken with homemade barbecue sauce.  I'm thinking the chocolate and the barbecue chicken will not cook evenly together. Next?  Got it!  Caramel Cheesecake Bars! I've had this recipe bookmarked (which, in my case, means bolded so it stands out to me) for a little while now and it sure looks appealing to me.  Hmmm...sounding more and more feasible with every second that goes by!  If memory serves me, which I have come to doubt, I actually have everything to make it because I had it on my menu a couple of weeks ago and it didn't pan out.  Time to check the pantry. 

Press crumb crust to fit bottom of dish
Aaaannnddddd....I HAVE EVERYTHING! Woo hooo!  Ok, trust me when I say this rarely happens.  I THINK I have everything; even swear I saw it when I looked.  Get the recipe started and guess what?  Nope, I don't have everything. Seriously, I think the dessert gods are trying to tell me something.  And if this situation happened only with desserts, I'd be darn sure that was the case.  But it never is; I usually let this happen with ANYTHING I'm making.  I guess it's my curse.

Mix your filling until it is smooth
But today, I really do have everything! Wait, let me sit down while that fact sinks in.  I'm not sure I can actually make a recipe if I have everything. How will I make it without panicking?  Without cursing under my breath because I just KNOW that ingredient is in this house somewhere even if I can't see it. Without having to substitute something completely off the wall and wondering if it will turn out anyway?  I just don't know if it's in my chemical make-up to actually prepare a recipe correctly.  I'd better think about this a while.

Pour filling on top of crust
Ok, I'll give it a try.  Just because Caramel Cheesecake Bars sound truly scrumptious on a day like today.  And it won't hurt that the oven will be on because it's just chilly enough to want a little extra heat.  And caramel.  Have I ever mentioned that I like caramel?  This is not a super caramel-y recipe though; the caramel is just drizzled over the top so it will ENHANCE, not take over, the flavor of the bars.  I won't lie when I tell you that even if it did, I'd probably love it anyway.  :)  So, without further ado, here is the recipe I'm making today.


Caramel Cheesecake Bars
Serves 32

For the crust:
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp butter, softened

For the filling:
3 (8 oz each) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, slightly beaten

For the topping:
1/4 cup caramel topping

Preheat oven to 325 degrees; Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

To prepare crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and margarine. Mix well to to combine. Press mixture evenly into prepared baking pan; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, flour, vanilla extract, and eggs. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour over crust layer.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until center is firm. Cool & refrigerate at least 4 hours. Drizzle top with caramel topping.



Now, I ask you - does this not look delectable? Scrumptious? Yummmmmmmm? I think so too! Next time you're trying to figure out what kind of dessert to make, or are just in the mood to bake something, SAY CHEESE(CAKE)!


Adapted from recipe by Kraft Foods.

11 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!!! i sooo love cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is soooo easy and delicious! You'd better make one, Mary Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It DOES look scrumptious! And easy too! I don't have everything on hand to make it but what I don't have has been added to the grocery list! Thanks for sharing at my party this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathe, it is sooooooo good! I have sometimes used nonfat plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream (usually because I'm out and too lazy to go to the store) and it turns out wonderfully that way as well.! Thanks so much for visiting me!

      Delete
  4. Oh. My GOSH! Yum oh YUMMM!! WOW! I need this! Thank you for sharing..looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four - You're so welcome! Believe me, it is super delish! Thanks so much for coming over and becoming a follower! I truly appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness, these sound amazingly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from the blog hop and now I'm in need of cheesecake..
    Yours sounds yummy...
    hugs from Savannah, Ga ~ Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherry, it really IS yummy! You'd better make yourself some! Thanks so much for visiting. I hope you come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your cheesecake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Brandi! I'm thinking about making another one soon. :) Glutton for punishment.

    ReplyDelete