scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Get a Handle on It...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope this past week has been good to you!  Other than being rainy and cold most of the week, it wasn't too bad.  Hubby took his last field trip of the school year and I did my regular old work thing.  Nothing too exciting, except we got our new stove!  Finally!  Woo hooooooo!  That was the highlight of my entire week; however, Mr. Scrappin and his brother, Mark, did all the work putting it in.  I supervised, of course, as is my sworn duty when it comes to things like this.  Tee hee hee hee

This is actually an old bottle
opener!  It says "open here"
Now that the new stove is here, I must get on with the painting of the kitchen.  And it's cabinets.  Yes, our walls are that dingy, ugly white that you've no doubt heard me bemoaning once or twice.  Yes, I know, it's actually much more than that, but it's my blog and I'll make up what I want.  Anyhooooooo, once we ordered the new stove, I felt that it was appropriate to finally start on the kitchen.  I've wanted to for a long time now.  Since I moved up here as a matter of fact.  So, I'd had this great color in mind for the walls and picked out my color for the cabinets.  Now, none of our drawers or cabinets have any pulls or knobs and, since I have trouble gripping and using my hands sometimes, I figured it was about time I finally got some.  I'd been thinking about those for a while too, but knew that I couldn't just get knobs.  I'd have to paint first. Cuz I'm not all about taking them back off and doing them over.

The top one is actually an old screen
door handle!  Very tiny!  The latches
are the kind that used to be on old
cupboards, like my Grandma had.
You might remember from one of my posts just recently that I have been spending a ton of time searching for just the right cabinet accessories.  Ooh, doesn't that just sound so much better than saying handles or something?  I digress.  A couple of years ago I had found the perfect knobs for my kitchen cabinets and by perfect, I mean PERFECT. You all know I live on a farm, right?  I want my kitchen to reflect a comfy, gather here kind of feeling and those knobs were just what I was looking for.  Tractors and barns.  They were soooo darn cute.  I was really excited and wanted to order them then, just in case they wouldn't be available whenever we were ready to actually use them.  Back then, they were $19 per knob.  Yes, PER KNOB.  As you can well imagine, the store kept them.  No way could I afford to pay that and, even if I could, I wouldn't.  So I went knobless.  Those knobs are still out there and today they are $23 per knob. Obviously, those particular pieces of cabinet accessories were not meant to be mine.

Check out the number on here.  No
idea what it actually means but I
think it's uber coolish!!
So I've been searching high and searching low and finally had this really cool idea.  Ok, well, I think it's cool anyway.  Mr. Scrappin pretty much thinks I'm a nutcase waiting for the shell to come off.  And apparently, he thinks it's almost shedding time.  LOL!  I STILL think it's a cool idea and so I've gone with it.  I've searched and searched until I was so tired I couldn't see straight, but I found what I wanted.  Different pulls for each drawer.  No matching stuff here, Matilda.  Well, except for two that came together, but since I have two drawers side by side on one counter, that will work perfect.  Oh yes, I am beyond excited.  I've always had kind of a different style, and this is different.  I know that because Hubby says so.    But HE thinks they're pretty cool now that we have them, so I can't say he's all that unhappy.

We have 10 drawers, including the two in front of the sink that are just those pull-out ones, that needed to have a pull or handle of some sort.  That left me with 10 pulls to find. I focused on finding those first, as the drawers are the hardest for me to open.  It took me quite a while, but to me the wait was worth it. I'm pretty confident that I will LOVE these on the drawers as soon as they're painted (I only have the cupboards above where the fridge will go painted as of today, but they still need to be distressed and waxed).  I love showing my individualism and I can't wait to get them on! Eventually, I will be showing you a little bit of my kitchen revamp so you will be able to see them actually attached to the drawers then.  I think you just might agree that this is one way cool drawer dress-up!

These used to be handles on an
old tool box!
The top one here has a number too.
The bottom one has a really unique design.

Well, back to the painting!  Thanks for looking; it was super hard to find these all but, now that I did, I love, love, love them!  It's about time I could get a handle on it!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the new kitchen!! A while ago I re-did an old kitchen hutch. I originally wanted to get knew pulls, but I could not find any the right size (I guess it was an old size that they don't really make anymore). Rather than patching in the holes and getting the new standard size pulls, I decided to just paint the old ones and it turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in Jenn! Hopefully it won't be too long before I can show some of the kitchen. I've got one side finished and it looks great! I painted the drawer pulls on one of my dressers a few years back and they turned out good too. Never let it be said that paint is for sissies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love old handles and you found some wonderful ones! I just added 2 in our kitchen remodel to use as towel bars.

    Thanks so much for sharing yours at Knick of Time Tuesday for my blog birthday celebration! Stay tuned throughout the week for giveaways happening every day - including the Leslie Janson giveaway going on now!

    (by the way - you may want to turn off word verification, as it discourages many from leaving comments)
    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, what a great idea to use them as towel bars! I love it! I'll definitely be visiting your blog, don't worry. LOL It's one of my favorites. :)

      Thanks for the heads up about the word verification; I didn't know I had it on there! I don't like to leave comments with it either so I totally get that mindset. It's going off right now!

      Delete
  4. Love Love the vintage handles. They would look great on some old wooden boxes like the one I made this week on my blog. I used an old belt for handles but love the thought of the metal ones. Found you via the blog hop at Knick of Time and am now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, they WOULD look great on wooden crates! Going to check out your belted ones right now! Thanks so much for becoming a follower. :) Glad to have you.

      Delete
  5. Great idea...love the numbered ones!! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them too! It took me a while to find just the right ones because there were definitely a lot with personality!

    ReplyDelete