scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quote Me...


Quote in a frame
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  How's your week been?  Hope it was productive and that your weekend was relaxing.  My week was hectic, and the weekend fun.  Hubby and I got to watch two of the cutest EVAH boys in the world overnight Friday and all day Saturday.  Lots of laughing and playing, which are two of our favorite things to do!  Today, I've got soup in the crock pot and have started on a project for next week's blog.  At least I've gotten a couple of things accomplished, seeing as I'm still in my jammies!  Remember in (at least) one post where I said my favorite thing was my jammies?  Yeah, can't beat 'em!

Same quote as above; differently done on canvas
Another one of my favorites, as in things to read and find, are quotes. Quotes of all kinds, from humorous to serious to inspiring to thought-provoking.  I have them posted everywhere, from in a frame on my wall to written in a book to taped to a drawer.  Sad, but true.  I am a quote junkie.  Does anyone know if there's help out there for me?  I'm thinkin' I'm in some serious need of intervention.  

Bible Verses using my MIL's name
8x8 scrapbook page
Now, when I say quotes, I'm talking the real quotes; the cool quotes.  NOT the ones we all heard growing up that sounded like our parents were crazy, such as "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about!"  HUH? Where in the heck of parentdom (if you'll remember, I also like to invent words) did that come from?  Does that even make any sense? Why would I be crying if I didn't have a reason to cry in the first place?  Is there some secret that I'm not aware of?  Or how about the infamous to us all, "Knock it off or I'll knock you into next week!"  Is that even geographically possible?  Can that actually happen?  Really, I'm pretty sure that's why I'm so befuddled and confused today; none of the things I heard growing up made any sense at all.  What about that "Don't go crying over spilled milk."  Why would they tell me that when I didn't spill my milk?  And I NEVER understood the one about letting the cat out of the bag.  Who in their right mind would put a cat in a bag anyway, and why?  Seriously, I think therapists are getting rich off of us due to our quote-inventing parents for all the damage they've done!

Another canvas
Quote says: "My future's so bright
I gotta wear shades."
No, the quotes I'm talking about are the really awesome ones, such as Mark Twain's "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear." Wish someone would have told me that a long time ago! Did you know there's more to that quote than just that sentence? Well, there is, and it goes like this: "Except a creature be part coward, it is not a compliment to say he is brave; it is merely a loose misapplication of the word." You can thank Pudd'nhead Wilson for that; it was on his calendar. :D How about "It is curious--curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare." to make you think? That one is also by Mark Twain. The guy's a genius in my book. Some of the best quotes ever were attributed to him.

One more canvas
Quote says:  "Music is love in
search of a word."
Quotes come from all kinds of sources, such as teachers, books, daily life events, church services, etc.  Almost anywhere you look,  you will find one that will grab your attention. How about Audrey Hepburn?  One of her most memorable (in my mind, anyway) quotes pertains to everyday life and how she looked at it. "For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed.” I have always admired her for her outlook on life and her giving spirit, after everything she went through in her life.

My FAVORITE Eleanor quote
Or Eleanor Roosevelt, who is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Audrey Hepburn, but was a generous and caring individual, with her own strong convictions that turned into a bazillion quotes. Hers are some of my own personal favorites. There are many, both witty and serious, to peruse over for hours. I'll bet many of us didn't realize (including myself) that the quote "Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart" originated from Eleanor Roosevelt.  She was one strong woman, having suffered some tragedies of her own, only to rise above them and inspire others. While we may think of her quote as "just words," they really do give you cause to stop and think.


4x6 card
Quote says: "One day, long, ago... there
lived a woman who did not whine, nag or
b***h.  But that was a long time ago...and
it was only that one day."
And how about some of the wittier ones that we hear all the time? The ones that make us laugh so hard we cry, or at some random point in time on a completely different day, we start cracking up to ourselves? You know, the ones where people look at you and you just know the men with the white coats are coming? Yeah, some of those stick with me because they usually remind me of something. I can't think of anything better to lift my spirits if I'm down, inspire me when I need it, or make me start thinking, than a good quote.

I love displaying my quotes or giving them for gifts.  There's just something about a quote that almost everyone likes AND you can find a quote that's PERFECT for whomever you're making a gift for!  One of the most fun, thoughtful and from-the-heart things you can do!  And you can quote me on that!


Picture frame by Michael's; Pattern paper and embellishments from several sources; Canvases, 4x6 card and 8x8 scrapbook page done using Heritage Makers digital scrapbooking program.

4 comments: