scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Just a Tee Spool of Thread...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  And Happy Easter to you all as well! I'm sure this past week was spent by quite a few of you preparing for the Easter celebrations and traditions you all hold dear. :)  Not me...I did nothing.  Nope, nothing. Nada.  Zip.  Zilch. Well, if you want to count working, working, getting rear-ended, working, having a melt-down and working, it was nothing.  I have to admit that this past week has been one of the most stressful I've had in a while so I quite literally came home each evening and fell onto the couch.  And prayed that hubby wasn't hungry.  Apparently he was...thank GOODNESS for Wheat Thins.  :D

Poor ugly tray  :(
Today I actually have dinner in the crock pot (I KNOW, freaky!) and had some time to work on a couple of things.  Not that I DID, it's just that I had the time.  Seriously, you all should know by now that just because I HAVE the time does not mean that I USE the time.  Do not make me retrain you all!  Quite a bit of today was spent trying to get Baxter to come inside.  It's quite windy here and he does not like the wind, so...he promptly stuffed himself between the door and the chair outside and would not move.  I tried and tried to open the door for him to come in, but he was too petrified.  FINALLY.  Now he's whimpering under the table, but at least he's inside.

After a couple of coats
In BETWEEN the attempts to get Baxter back in the house, I finally got to do my thread tray! I've actually been wanting to do this for quite a while now, but haven't had the chance. But today, I DID IT!  YAY ME!!!  Come on now; say it with me!  The clear box that's been holding my thread forever just isn't big enough or what I'm really wanting, so I've been biding my time (for a lllooooonnnngggggg time) trying to find the perfect thread and bobbin holder.  I had something specific in mind, but just wasn't able to find it.  I checked out Ebay, Amazon, the craft stores, etc., just to find that what my brain was picturing wasn't anywhere to be found.  Pooh.

1-3/4 inches apart in the row
Enter this tray (yes, this poor ugly tray) that I picked up at my one of my favorite thrift shops a few months back.  I passed it up a couple of times, even though I knew I could use it for something, but the color just wasn't giving me any inspiration.  Finally, after about the 49th trip through (seriously!), I grabbed it.  For just a couple of dollars, I figured something would come to me eventually. Eventually took a while.  On one of my last search adventures for the perfect thread and bobbin holder, it occurred to me that this poor ugly tray could be my answer.  What I was really looking for was a holder that I could store my thread AND it's bobbin TOGETHER.  Not in separate spaces or holders, but TOGETHER.  Because I am truly OCD and NEED to be able to grab them at the same time.  Fine...YOU call it lazy, I call it OCD.  Either way, I now have it.

Using a ruler for row spacing
It crossed my mind that this tray is quite a nice size and could store lots of thread.  You know, as in, I already have lots, but I need more lots. :D  You sewers, quilters and thread hoarders completely understand, don't you? And it would be easily accessible; no searching for the bobbin that's somewhere else and digging through the spools of thread to find the one I want.  And seriously - how stupendously simple!  Not to mention, I can see every color at just one glance and know exactly what I have so I don't end up buying the exact same one over and over.  I'm going to go with money saving on this too, just for the sake of  excitement and justification.

Finished project
Anyhoooooo, to make my thread holder, it was very simple to do, with not a lot of different or expensive items needed.  Spray paint, my tray and some golf tees.  Add hot glue and...waa laa (or however you spell that!), my thread holder!  Really, it was THAT easy!

Holding spools/bobbins
I gave my tray a nice washing and towel-dried it.  After that, I took it outside and gave it a couple of coats of spray paint.  I only painted the inside as I wanted the outside to still be dark, but of course that is totally a personal preference. After it dried for a couple of hours, I took out the trusty golf tees that my hubby has been collecting for YEARS (bwah hahahaha - actually, I got them off of ebay super cheap!) and applied hot glue to the bottom of the tee.  Using a ruler, I spaced them approximately 1-3/4 inches apart .  Once a row was finished, I left the ruler there as a spacer and added more tees to the next row.  I just continued this  until I had the tray filled.  Originally, I had planned to use only the tallest tees, but since some of my spools of thread are shorter, and since I have some random bobbins with no matching threads, I decided to use all sizes.  Super easy, super quick, super organizational!

Perfect!
Of course, I HAD to immediately put some thread on it to see if it was really how I wanted it, and it was!  YAY ME!  I now have my thread with matching bobbins TOGETHER on their very own tees and can tell at a quick glance whether I need to thread a bobbin, buy a new spool of a color, or decide which color in a family I don't have.  

Trust me, just a tee spool of thread makes your day much more organized!  And it's colorful, just like those Easter eggs!

Ultra Cover spray paint (Grape in gloss) from Rustoleum; Golf tees in random sizes from PrideSports.


34 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! I may have to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krista. :) It was super easy and didn't take long at all. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Great idea, I've been looking for something like this. Thanks so much,
    Until next time,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, it took no time at all and I really love it! Everything is where I want it!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it so wonderful to be organized :) I love your thread tray and I think you have a wonderful inspiration for so many :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    PS Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words, Karianne. :) So glad you came by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea! I love the purple. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tisha! I think it's one of my faves so far, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Toodie!! I just noticed you left a comment on my blog and I never received the email saying you did , I'm sorry =( it was back in March! I hopped over to your blog and I LOVE that bobbin/thread tray!! omgosh so clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzee! Thanks so much for popping in! :) And thank you for the nice comment. Hope to see you again.

      Delete
  8. I love it! I would've never figured out that tees would be the perfect size to hold spools and bobbins. Very clever and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! It works really well. :)

      Delete
  9. Ok ... seriously this is the most clever thing I have seen in a LONG time! Glad I stopped by to see your blog. You rock!
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ!!!! I appreciate your great comment! Come back soon!

      Delete
  10. Brilliant cute and brilliant clever dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! I'm really loving it.

      Delete
  12. I have seen photos of golf tees used to keep threads and bobbins together, but from the top through the bobbin instead of from the bottom through the thread. Your way is genius! I have a drawer with my sewing threads and a bobbin for each and plan adapt your idea to my drawer.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, June! I think you'll really like it. I've been very happy with it!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Connie. I'm not sure it was creativity as much as desperation. LOL!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It took me a while to come up with this, but it does look simple, doesn't it? hahaha It works very well, though and I really love it.

      Delete
  15. Dropping by from Sew Many Ways link party.

    This is a fantastic idea! I'll keep it in mind for the future should I run out of my current storage drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SuperMom! This was probably one of my best ideas, really. It works wonderfully and I've been so happy with it! I know at a glance just what I have and it has really taken care of a lot of my frustrations.

      Delete
  16. What a great idea! Looks like it works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Connie! I can't believe how much it has saved me from digging for everything!

      Delete
  17. I love this idea. Nice paint job too. I am just discovering the joys of spray paint. Thanks for sharing your super cool tray o'threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi. I'm pretty new at discovering the joys of spray paint too and I'm just lucky this one turned out. LOL Thank you so much for coming over.

      Delete
  18. I've done this too only I have one of those plastic 4 drawer shelving units on wheels; I have my sewing tools in the top drawer; my thread and spools in the next (on the upside down tees); trims in the next drawer and instruction booklets etc. in the bottom - I can just wheel it to where I'm sewing and all my supplies are right at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. just found this great idea.. What I was wondering is how did the glue hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever idea!!! I'm excited to start this project. I will be using a plastic drawer with the golf tees and some kinda pegboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does the tray with the golf tees sit out, or did you hang it?

    ReplyDelete