scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Coasterrific Wall Hanging...

Mod Podge the verses on and let dry
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope you have all had a fantabulous week and that another one is in the works for you!  Did you have beautiful weather where you are and, if you did, what did you do with it?  We had some nice days this last week; a little chilly in the morning, but just perfect by mid-day.  Oh, how I hated to be working when it was nice outside!  But work I did.

Mod Podge cardstock on the coasters
The weekend, now - that's a different story! Weekends are mine; all mine!  I slept in; hubby and I got to have an over-nighter with the most fun twin boys we know; and I got to play a little in my craft room today.  Really, I did!  And yes, I enjoyed every darn minute of it!  I finally got to do a little something to hang in my bedroom, which is B.O.R.I.N.G. Yep, boring. Did I mention boring?  Said boring bedroom hasn't been painted yet, although hubby and I have been wanting to get around to it.  The problem is that there are so many "get around to its" that we sort of have to prioritize.  I know, I know, it makes me sad too. Never in my wildest dreams as a little girl did I ever think I would have to prioritize.  And I don't like it.  Just sayin'.

Attach ribbon between coasters
While we haven't gotten to the painting part yet, that doesn't mean that I can't actually hang something on the walls, right?  RIGHT. And let me tell you, there is NOTHING on our walls. How did this happen?  Soooo not acceptable! Ok, well, there is ONE thing hanging on the walls...a belt rack.  Oh yeah, how exciting is THAT?  Woo hoo!  Mhm.  I am underwhelmed at the lack of decor, and a belt rack just really doesn't make me feel and happy inside.  Enter...me.  Someone has to do something, right?    Well, of course, that someone is me.  And I just made our first EVAH wall decor for the bedroom. Only three and three-fourths years later, but hey, who's counting?

Cording added to close "seams"
I had an idea a while back to make a little hanging to go between our closet doors, where we have about six inches of actual wall.  Not a lot you can put in a small place like that so I've been contemplating for a long time about how to spruce that little area up.  A few months ago I had the brilliant idea (yes, I did say brilliant!) to put the verses of the poem we had on our wedding announcement onto separate "somethings" and make it cute. Mhm. Notice how I said a few months?  Cuz that's what it took me to figure it out. What kind of "something" can you put poem verses on and make them look decent?  My first idea...coasters.  Because I had some.  No, not the stone or tile coasters, but the cheap and ugly advertising ones you can get from a bar. Check out that picture above and you'll see what I'm talking about.   

Gauzy ribbon for fun
Now, before you go thinking that I visit bars a lot, let me just tell you that I actually needed those coasters to do another project (that has obviously never been done) so I asked the waitress at a little bar and grill across from where I work if I could have some coasters. Uh, yeah, I really did that.  I'm not opposed to begging.  I'm not proud of it, but it works. People wonder what in the world you would want those ugly things for and they look at you with pity and hand them over.  Try it sometime.  Of course, those coasters have been sitting in my craft room for quite a while now, waiting for me to get them out and play with them. Well, today was the day!  Except I didn't really know exactly how to make my hanging non-boring.  It needed dimension of some sort, so for a couple of hours I wracked my brain.  And then I opened up that drawer that had been holding those coasters and took out those little tiny canvases.  Yay me - a project has begun!

Looped ribbon at top
First verse
First, I cut up (GASP) the poem out of one of my extra wedding programs.  THAT was really hard to do! Who cuts up their wedding program?!  Uh, me.  But ONLY because I had extras.  Somehow, it felt really wrong to be doing that.  I must admit that I almost didn't succeed.  And I had to talk myself into it, slowly and patiently.  Getting out my trusty Mod Podge, which is one of my very bestest friends in the entire world, I adhered the verses to the small canvases. Breathe in, breathe out...you can do it!  As I was letting the canvases dry, I cut cardstock squares in a size just a tad bigger than my coasters and adhered the cardstock to one side of the coaster.  I did two coasters for each verse, as I had a plan.  Yep, a REAL plan, just like those people that know what they're doing.  I felt so special!  ME, with a PLAN!

Second verse
After everything was dry, I trimmed the cardstock around the coasters to get them back to their original shape and sanded the edges with an old nail file to remove any rough edges.  I chose a wide ribbon that I'd been saving (it came from a beautifully packaged order I received not too long ago) to use for the hanger, and started to adhere it to the coasters. Placing the coasters cardstock side down, I hot glued around the edges of the coasters and placed the ribbon in the center of a coaster and sandwiched it in between with a second coaster.  I folded the top part of the ribbon down and glued the edge inside the two top coasters  to make my hanging loop.  See?  I TOLD you I had a plan!  This long ribbon was going to hold all of my verses together.  After all of the coasters were attached to each other, I attached some cording that I've had for YEARS (literally!) around the edges to cover up the seams.  So far, so good!

Third verse
Next, I cut up some gauzy ribbon that I had left over from a previous project and just randomly placed it on top of the front of each coaster.  I then applied hot glue to the back edges of the canvases and attached them to the front of the coasters.  Hey, this was pretty cool!  I was actually liking how it was turning out! Trust me, that doesn't happen often.  Something seemed to be missing, but I didn't want any huge embellishments on these simple verses.  Looking around in my craft room (it's amazing that I can actually find my way back out of there), I found some small self-adhesive pearls that I had used on our wedding invitations.  What better place to use them?  On our wedding poem of course!  I'm a genius!  Oh, did I mention that the cardstock was also used for our wedding invitations?  I'm sensing a theme here!

Last verse
Love those embellies!
With the bottom verse being quite short, I had room on the canvas to play with, but I couldn't really figure out what I wanted on there.   Nothing floral or big; I wanted this project to stay simple so that we could enjoy the verse and not have it get lost in the embellies.  Looking through my alphabet stash, I found letters with the initials of our first names - hey, this might work!  I hot glued those on, and attached some more self-adhesive pearls in a different color to look like the ellipses at the end of a sentence.  I like it!  

The final product!
Loving that ribbon hanger!

I'll hang it just where I said I would, and I'll smile every time I see it.




Canvas (2-1/2x3-1/2) by Artist's Loft; Cardstock (Chocolate Fleur) by Lasting Impressions; Mod Podge Matte-Mat from Plaid Enterprises; Self-adhesive pearls (Ivory and Ice Green) by Kaisercraft.
Poem originally by Sandy Roistan.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute project. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your inspiration and projects! I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! Please check it out on my blog. http://realsouthernliving.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you Stacey! What a great surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete