scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Take a Cupcake Stand...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I trust you all had a wonderful week!  What did you do with it?  I worked.  LOL  Yep, that's pretty much it.  Except for yesterday, when I played around almost all day on the computer.  Oops, I don't think I was supposed to say that part out loud.  ;)  One thing I did notice about my work week was that no matter where I was, there was a treat of some kind.  Cookies, candy, cake, you name it.  I'm not sure why, but I was able to stay away from it (well, mainly because I had to keep going on my runs so I wasn't by it.)

Looking at all those treats not only made me want them (and want them BAD), but it sent that gnawing little thought through my mind that I STILL haven't done those cupcake stands I bought the dishes for a while ago.  Hmmm. Have I even taken them out of their bag? Oooh, just checked and that would be a big ol' NOPE.  Sigh...will I ever remember to take things our of their bags?  Probably not, but I digress.

I had been thinking about this for a while, when, all of a sudden, these things started emerging on places like Pinterest and in blogs everywhere.  Well, guess what? You get to see another one.  Ha Ha Ha  Cupcake stands are very cute, very original to whomever does them and, the best part yet, they hold cupcakes.  Real cupcakes!  Now, some people will use theirs for fruit or veggies or smaller kitchen items, to which I say: "WHAT ARE YOU, NUTS?!"  WHO uses a CUPCAKE stand for something other than CUPCAKES?  If memory serves me, and I think it does, people who do not eat cupcakes are illegal in this country and branded as spies.  Just sayin'.  It just so happens that my hubby is probably the BIGGEST cake and cupcake fan on the entire planet, so these trays will come in handy!  I'm not averse to putting those wrapped Hostess ones on there either in an attempt to keep the stands full.  Somebody's got to get them out of bankruptcy so they can keep going, right?  Just doing my civil duty.

The great thing about these stands is that your imagination is the only limit to the creativity.  The ones I'm showing today are going to be given away so are made to each recipient's personality.  Yes, I have some very colorful peeps in my life.  :)  I wouldn't have it any other way, unless they would be kind enough to at least OFFER ME A CUPCAKE for all my troubles.  Cuz it took me WEEKS to put these things together (remember the taking them out of the bag thing - it counts as time.)  And you can use any combination of items you wish to make them.  I've seen candlesticks, wooden blocks, mugs and several other things used as bases, and ALL OF THEM are so unique and very cool.  If I could start a new collection (and I just might) it would more than likely be these stands.  I heart them! I've also seen bowls, plates, pans, wooden hat boxes and a million other things as the cupcake holder part.  Like I said, imagination is the only limit.

My stands are all made using stoneware dishes and clear glasses that I found at the dollar store.  Did I mention I probably own that place by now?  As well as many of you, I'm sure. We're probably secret partners and don't even know it!  Anyhoo, there were several colors and shapes of dishes, but I chose pretty simple neutral ones so that any painting wouldn't bleed or have a funky color show through.  Cuz that's how I roll.  If it can bleed through, it will.  

As for assembling the stands, you still have no limit.  You can make a two, three or however many tiered stand you would like.  I wouldn't recommend taller than three just because you can't see what's on the top.  :)  True story.  I'm short.  I like to see my cupcakes, thank you very much!  That way I know hubby did not take off with the one(s) I wanted.

To put them together, it's a very simple process.  And I say that because if I can do it (especially without breaking something and getting cut in the process so yet another limitation is place on the objects I get to work with) then you can do it.  Really, I mean that.  It's simply a matter of hot gluing (some people like to use super glue, and either one is fine - just make sure you use a glue made for whatever material you're using) your things together and letting them set.  In my case, I painted two sets and four of the glasses, and I wrote on the last set with a porcelain pen (ignore that handwriting) and I painted the glasses with chalkboard paint (cuz we all know I can't go too long without putting chalkboard paint on something).  With the painted glasses, you'll notice what looks like runs.  Well, they are, sort of.  I was trying to go for a "frosting on the cake" sort of look; you know, you always see those kinds of details on cake frosting?  Ok, well, maybe only I see those kinds of details.  At any rate, I was trying for a messy frosting sort of look.  I actually sprayed my  base and let it dry; then sprayed a heavy coat and drug my fingers through it (note to self:  use gloves, you idiot!) to make deep gouges.  I let it dry partially and added another heavy coat - close up so that it would be runny on the glasses and run down the side.  I did that with a couple of the dishes too; sort of like those little ridges of frosting you see on the edge of the cake.  I'm sure that's probably not everyone's taste, but it was fun to do.

After everything was dry (and the dishes with porcelain pen were baked), I simply used my hot glue gun to assemble these cupcakes.  OOH, that was almost a pun. hee hee hee  Sorry.  Ok, I simply hot glued the rims of the glasses and attached them to the bottom plate; hot glued the flat bottom of that glass and attached the second plate, and repeated.  There you have it.  A finished and fun project!  Next time you need to, why not take a cupcake stand and grab a cupcake right off it?


Dishes and Glasses from The Dollar Store; Chalkboard spray paint (black) from Rustoleum; Ultra Cover spray paint (Key Lime and Grape in gloss; Lagoon in satin) from Rustoleum; Porcelain pens (Lapis Blue and Scarlet Red) from Pebeo.

11 comments:

  1. Those are pretty and will be oh so functional! My favorite is the purple one on the bottom. I like the glass shades you used for added interest. Thanks for stopping by my blog this weekend, and I'm happy you enjoyed my tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Pat! It was interesting. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Gayle, thank you for saying so. :) Glad to see you. :)

      Delete
  4. So fun! I've got to make one of these. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! But then I'd have to buy some cupcakes, ha ha. And, no, fruit would definitely NOT be on any cupcake stand in my domain :)

    I've got to try those Pebeo pens. I've sworn off paint pens the last couple of years. Maybe I'll test the waters again with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen, I definitely had to buy some cupcakes. LOL

    I've never used these pens before, but they were super simple and I didn't have a problem with them. :) Thanks so much for stopping by. ;)

    ReplyDelete