scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Classy Chair...


Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope you've all had a wonderfully crafty week!  Ok, ok, I know you've probably had to do SOME kind of work, but hopefully the crafty things wiggled their way in there too!  After all, don't we have to have some fun in the midst of our "have to do it" times.

While I wasn't exactly crafty DURING the week, I did get the chance to take a chair class.  What is a chair class?  Well, I'M SO GLAD YOU ASKED!  It's a class where you do a chair. BWAH HAHAHAHAHA  Ok, ok, enough of the goofing off here.  It is actually a class that I took where I learned how to prep, paint, distress and seal a chair AND learn how to do a simple seat upholstery. Very fun.  Now, I know that most of you can already do this, but NOT ME.  I've always wanted to, but my projects never really turned out well, and now I know why. I wasn't doing it right.

Pre-transformation
This class was offered by Paint in my Hair, a local boutique/Annie Sloan Chalk Paint retailer.  The real name of the class is an Upholstered Chair Class.  I was very excited to be taking this class since I had no idea how to take something blah and turn it into something beautiful.  Everywhere I look, people are posting pictures of their own gorgeous project redos and I really wanted to try my hand at doing it myself. Enter Jessica, the owner of this wonderful little store!

Not only is Jessica a super friendly, super nice lady, but you should see the finished projects in her store.  TO. DIE. FOR. Seriously.  I just can not get over how beautiful the finished pieces in that store are.  Jessica owns the store with her husband, Justin, who also does fabulous work.  Those two are a painting dynamo!  And he is just as nice as Jessica.  The entire time I was taking the class, he was kind enough to tell me my chair was looking good.  Thanks Justin!


SO...I arrive at the scheduled time and get to choose my chair.  Yep, I got to CHOOSE my own chair.  There were three different ones and each one could have been a work of art!  I chose a heavier one with a little bit taller back to it. Great chair...could use a little work though as far as gussying her up.  At this point, I'm sure Jessica was pretty aware that I was a paint virgin.  Yep,  TOTALLY.  Bless her, she didn't bop me over the head when I was babbling about how excited I was.  Ok, chair chosen; now on to the cleaning.


I was given a solution to clean the chair with that removes all the greases, grime, etc., that a furniture piece can accumulate throughout its life.  This step is very important, even though you may not think so.  A clean item is crucial to the paint adhering.  I did wipe it down as thoroughly as I could, making sure that my cloth was not picking up any more dirt before I stopped.  Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about yet? Yeah, that's Jessica talking, not me.  hahahaha  I only know that because she told me.  After the cleaning, she had me wipe the chair down to dry it, making sure there were no damp spots remaining.  Since we were going to be using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, there was no need to sand.


Speaking of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...LOVE IT!!!  This is the paint that most of the gorgeous furniture I'd seen was painted with and I just love the look.  Here was my chance to use it for the very first time, and with the proper instruction! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was!  I think Jessica got really tired of me saying that.  LOL  I picked a color called Old Ochre.  It had been mixed with the color Old White, so wasn't as dark as normal, but still very pretty. Since we were going for the shabby chic, distressed look, we did what Jessica called a "slip slap" job.  Basically, we made sure that every surface was covered and any pock marks were filled in with the paint.  As the first coat was drying, I got a tour of the shop so that different techniques could be explained to me, and I was just amazed by everything that can be done with this paint.  We gave the chair a second coat and let it dry while we had lunch.  

Since we were going for that particular look, we did a little bit of distressing.  I just think there's something charming about the distressed look.  I opted for light distressing on this chair, as I really wanted it to blend well with the fabric and give it a kind of "charmed" look.   

After letting the second coat dry while having lunch (which Jessica ordered in), it was time for the wax.  Yes, I said wax.  I know, I know, we all are used to seeing stain or paint or sealant of some kind, but not wax.  Although this was an intimidating step to me, the way Jessica explained and demonstrated it, I felt much better.   It is not at all hard, just different.  As I made sure the wax was ground into the chair, I was wondering how this would turn out.  Turns out...I love the look!  For this chair, we used clear wax to seal, and I decided against the dark wax this time. I was REALLY loving how this was turning out!  After wiping the excess wax off, it was time for the upholstery part. Several options were explained to me and I chose to do the "just under the seat" option.  That is the technical name that I gave it.  hahahaha    I cut the foam to size; wrapped it in batting, and stapled it to just underneath the seat lip. Although I had given Jessica my power tools, sharp objects and fire disclaimer, she allowed me to use the upholstery gun (aka "power tool") anyway.  Brave,  brave soul. OH MY GOSH, THAT WAS SOOOOO MUCH FUN!  She did have to give me tips on how to point it and how to set it down correctly, as well as some extremely useful information on how to tack as opposed to completely stapling.  I have to admit that I'd love to be stapling today too, but she kept her upholstery gun.  Darn!  There's always a catch!  

Next came the attachment of the fabric, which was a beautiful soft colored floral pattern. Yeah, I know, I am so NOT a floral person, but this was really pretty and just the look I was going for.    I attached the fabric to the seat lip just as I had attached the batting before it.  I decided on double inverted pleats for the front corners to make them look nicer than just having extra fabric hanging around looking at me. Jessica held and I stapled. LOVIN' THAT UPHOLSTERY GUN!  Excess fabric was cut off using a razor blade (aka "sharp object") close to the staples.  I hot glued some beautiful trim onto cover the rough edges of the fabric and THE CHAIR WAS DONE!!  Oh my goodness, I love, love, love it!  I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun this class was and how awesome the instruction was.  Jessica has so much passion and excitement for her work that I cannot even begin to think of this class being taught by someone else. She is also my new hero, not only for her amazing talent, but for enduring my constant chatter and amazement without bopping me over the head.  :D

I am now a tried and true believer in not only the fact that I CAN do this thing called painting, but that the Annie Sloan Chalk Paints are simply everything they have said they were. I am truly amazed at how this paint works and all of the different things you can do with it.  If you are local here, please take a moment to stop by Paint in my Hair and, if you are not local, please take a moment to check out her blog.  I am so excited that we have this available to us.  It was truly a wonderful experience and I am very excited to work on more projects.

For me, it was a Classy Chair day. 

Paint (Old Ochre/Old White) and Clear Wax by Annie  Sloan Chalk Paints; foam and batting by Joann/Hancock Fabrics; Fabric for chair by unknown source.

18 comments:

  1. Totally AWESOME! I love your remake!!! I totally need some cute chair cushions! I'm inspired!!! Excited to be your newest follower!!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aimee! It was soooo much fun! And thanks so much for following me; I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ellen,
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, very nice to read:)
    You are such a active and creative woman! The transformation of the chair is ...well... superb! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Elisabeth! What a nice thing to say! The chair was soooo fun and I want to do another one soon! Thank you so much for stopping in. Come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A paint class - how fun!! I've not tried the Annie Sloan chalk paints yet either, but I have a couple of pieces just waiting their turn. The chair turned out great - thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tisha, thank you so much for the kind comment! I love your blog and look forward to reading it.

      Delete
  6. the chair is just darling! thanks for stopping by to see me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! It really was a lot of fun to do.

      Delete
  7. Your "new" chair is gorgeous! I have been wanting to try the Annie Sloan paint for a long time. One of our local stores recently started stocking it. Now, comes the difficult decision of selecting what to paint and which color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thank you so much! Believe me, you WILL NOT be disappointed when you try this paint. I did buy a mini-kit to paint my metal 3-drawer cart with. Then, on to the dressers, dining room set, etc. Hee hee hee

      Delete
  8. Toodie is the cutest name! I love your chair redue! You picked out really cute fabrics! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelsey, thank you! My brother gave me that name when I was born. LOL Thank you for your kind words and thank you soooo much for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your chair re-do! Have a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Debbie! You have a wonderful weekend as well. Thanks so much for stopping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The chair looks great, and the class sounds such fun. I'm already following 'Paint in my Hair' and neglected to follow you last time I visited, so I've remedied the situation !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fiona! Thank you for your kind comment! And thanks a bunch for following me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. After renovate this chair look so fabulous.Colors combinations are so great.

    a boards uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Pinkerton! I really had a great time doing it, and I love the fabric. Thanks so much for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete