scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Crafts for Children...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  Wow, here we are in December already.  These months have flown by; where did the time go?  Didn't we just take the tree down? Weren't we just decorating and celebrating?  I guess I'm caught in a time warp.  Well, hubby got the tree out Thursday and put it up.  We have one of those pre-lit trees, which makes the task a little less time consuming.  BUT, it is still in the same state it was when he first put it up.  Naked.  Except for those lights.  Poor tree, probably thinks it's unloved.  Truth be known, I just haven't felt like taking out the decorations yet.  I did do it this morning, but  under duress.  Once I started getting them out, the going was great, but before that I just didn't feel very Christmasy.  Looking at the decorations as I brought them out brought back that spirit and anticipation of the season, so why didn't I just do it Thursday?  Because I'm stubborn.  But you didn't hear that from me.  If my kids see this, they'll never let me hear the end of it.


Going through those decorations always allows me to remember just when I received or purchased them.  Yes, I'm one of "those" people that remembers everything.  Like the snowman ornaments and figures that my BFF Carla bought for me; the houses that I just had to have so I stalked China n' Things until I was sure I had one of each; the Nativity that my son borrowed my credit card to buy for me; the stockings that my friend Sonja crocheted...everything that is in those boxes is dear to me for one reason or another.

The ornaments I get out every  year and really love, though, are the ones my kids made when they were little.  Ah, sometimes I wish for those days again, so they can bring me home those really cool, authentically designed Christmas lovelies.  Not only are there ornaments for the tree, but there are decorations to put just about anywhere.  They're awesome.  And original.  And mine, all mine.

They remind me of the innocence, the fun, the wonder, the excitement...all of those things that children feel when they know Christmas is right around the corner.  And the looks on their faces when they get to hand it to you and you smile so big your mouth hurts, because these truly are the greatest of gifts you could ever receive.

All of the decorations shown today can easily be made by children of almost any age, as there are different (grade) levels of these colorful beauties.  Of course, you always want to have an adult supervising since there are things like paint, glitter, glue and cutting involved.  Most, if not all of these Christmas cheerfuls are self-explanatory as you look at them so I'm not including directions, although you can certainly email me should you need help.  You will notice right off that I didn't put anything up there that I didn't know how to make myself.   hee hee hee Those I left in the bins because they intimidated me.  Really, how can my kids make these crafty little things when I can't?  It's simply not fair, so they are going to be ostracized from the grouping today.  That doesn't mean they will be left out of the decorating though.  :)  I'm not THAT mean.  Well, maybe...


Now that my kids are grown, I really miss those little treasures during the year, but I will always have these ones to look back at and cherish. Maybe they'll make me some new ones soon - after all, they are still my kids.



19 comments:

  1. I love pulling out the ornaments and all the memories that come with them :)
    But I too am not looking forward to all the decorating this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my place and taking the time to leave a comment. I thought I'd check out your place too. I am an avid scrapbooker and would love to see what you are up to regularly. Veteran's Day layout is very nice. I'm a new follower ~ always up for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the nice comments ladies! So glad to have you following me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love the ornaments!! i cherish each one my kids have made and they make the tree so special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mary Pat! I always hate putting them away because they're so special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my tree is loaded with kid crafted ornaments. We have three tingle reindeer, and the footprint handprint deer ass well. I think I'll cherish them forever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiara, aren't they just the best ornaments? I love them so much! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Toddie-
    Love your blog. Thank you for following mine and now I am a follower of yours!
    Michele P
    http://sewinspirations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Michele! Love yours as well, which is why I became a follower. You are addicting in your posts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how special christmas decorations are when they've been made by our kiddies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do too Melissa! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Toodie...just wanted to thank you for the kind comments!! Just hopped on over and became your newest follower:-)) Julie and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie and Sharon...Thanks so much for becoming a follower! I started following you this afternoon when I saw all those gorgeous pieces! LOL Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All these are so cute! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspotcom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade Christmas ornaments are so sweet. Those are all great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melanie, thanks so much for stopping by! Love your blog!

    Anita, I miss the kids being small because these are such sweet ornaments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kid made ornaments are the best! Such sweet memories! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Finding...loved your blog!!!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all so charming. Welcome to blogging Toodie. Come hop in my newbie party going on now.

    ReplyDelete