scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, November 27, 2011

All A-Board...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving, enjoying the day with family and/or friends.  I know I did.  :)  This year we had a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner, in that there were only three of us (hubby, mother-in-law, and myself) and hubby wanted something simpler.  That was hard.  Doable, but hard.  I really like my stuffing, my sweet potatoes, my pumpkin pie!!!!  But I can definitely do without the turkey.  Tastes like metal to me so I'm just not a fan; never have been.  We ended up with Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, with homemade noodles and sauce; homemade pull-apart garlic bread; a nice green salad; and peach-blueberry cobbler, topped with vanilla ice cream.  Yummmm.  No one will ever know that I had to scramble at the end because I sort of forgot the chicken part of the dish.  BWAH HAHAHAHAHAH.  My mother-in-law and I laughed so hard!  Ah well, what a great memory.  :D  I hope that you have something that is a great memory from this Thanksgiving as well.  After all, that's what really counts.

This week, I'm highlighting a couple of altered clipboards that can be used to hold pictures of some of those memories, or to hold anything you'd like.  Not only are they cute, but useful as well!  Trust me, you'll use one if  you make one.  I didn't think I would but, wow, do I!  Recipes, receipts, pizza menus, etc., they all get attached to one of these babies.  They're great for your office (or cubicle if you have the awesome luck to have one of those!) or as a gift for a co-worker.  Who doesn't want to brighten up their work space with something crafted with them in mind? 

These are so easy and quick to do that you'll want to do several.  These are only a few of the several I've done.  The rest have been given away.  I like to personalize them to the personality of the person that is receiving them so that they know the gift was truly meant for them.  With so many great products out there on the market (and to be upcycled at home), it isn't difficult to get exactly the look you want.  And these little boards can be customized in just about any way imaginable.

 On the boards shown, I did include a little bit of cork for a bulletin board area, mainly because yours truly is a tack freak.  HAVE YOU SEEN those cute little tacks out there with flowers and ladybugs and ice cream cones and...need I say more?  Yes, I'm a sad, sad case.  But they're sooooo cute that they need to be used.  What better way to justify buying them than to have a little area of cork that is just sitting there looking lonely?  The cork board had actually been given to me by my friend, Mary, as she had extra and knew I could figure out something to do with it.  Thanks Mary! 

To do these clipboards, I chose some left-over scrapbook papers that were in my scrap drawer (yes, I have a drawer, with files labeled by color).  I played around with the papers to see where I wanted them, basically for what was pleasing to my eye at that moment.  Every single one I've done has been completely different, so there really is no one single way that I liked better.  Once I got the paper where I wanted it, I merely traced around the metal clip part so that I wouldn't have some funky gaps around that area, and cut my paper accordingly.  Then I attached the papers to the clipboard with double-sided tape.  Through trial and error, I found this to be the best way to keep the adhesive attached to the boards, as well as keeping the papers flat (i.e., no bubbling from liquid glue or gum spots from adhesive dispensers).  Although, did you notice on the summer one that I used paint as well as paper?  Just plain acrylic paint will do, and it's pretty easy to apply.  I used a sponge brush and just swished it on the edges since I knew I'd be covering the majority of the board with papers.

Once the papers were on, it was time to decide which embellies I wanted, if any, and where to put them.  Usually I have that part all planned out,  but with these, I kind of wanted to play around a little with different ideas.  For the embellies, I used punches, letters, buttons, rubber stamps, cut-outs and whatever else I could find in my stash.  The two flowers on the purple clipboard were made by my friend Shelly, who graciously handed them over when I begged.  Thanks Shelly!

Now, time to print a calendar and attach it, along with a post-it note pad. They did all have the note pads, but some are not on in the pictures. I found the calendars I wanted at http://www.printablecalendar.ca/. There are many, many sites out there for calendars, but this one had what I was looking for and was very user friendly. And it's FREE, which is always wonderful!

All a-Board!!!


Clipboards from Staples; Scrapbook paper, unknown (from my stash); Binder clips from Staples; Star eyelet by Memory Makers; Scrabble letters, unknown; Silver puzzle letter by Provo Craft; Cake cut-out by Doodlebug; Cupcake stamp by Great Impressions; Acrylic Paint (Meadow) by Making Memories; Sunshine punch by Marvy Uchida; Button by Doodlebug; Blue flower with brad by Memory Makers; Small flowers, unknown; Wishes and Dreams, Love and Floral Heart stamps by Hampton Arts.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Toodie. I really like your clip boards. I've being saying I was going to do one all summer and it still hasn't happened.

    Thanks for your kind comment about my framed calendar print. I was so happy to see your comment. You're the only one that's said a thing. I'm beginning to think I have bad taste because I liked it. Oh' well. I'm glad you like it with me.

    I'm your newest follower.
    Hugs...Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Tracy! So glad to have you as a follower! :) I LOVED your calendar print and was thinking how much my mother-in-law would love one too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to alter clipboards. Seeing yours have inspired me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sandy, you MUST try it. It's really fun! Seeing the talent you have in other areas, I don't think this would be a problem for you at all! Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your clip boards are super cute! They are on my to make list,but I night have to move them closer to the top ;)
    Thanks for visiting & commenting over at my lil blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'm glad you like them! Don't worry, I'll be making more trips to your blog to visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clip boards are so darn adorable. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete